Pages

01 February 2011

Procedural sound, well not really but sort of.

Forget-Me-Not has sound now. It sounds like a zappy old arcade machine, hopefully. Eventually I want to learn how to code a synth so I can make games generate their own audio, but for now I'm just making sounds with good old sfxr... it's easy and makes the kind of stuff that suits a game like this.

But! It's amazing what you can do with a bit of pitch shift. I'm using Finch for .wav playback.. cool little bit of code that makes OpenAL very easy. Much thanks to Zoul who wrote it! Finch lets you change the pitch of samples, all nice and smooth. Playing stuff back at different rates depending on what's happening makes things come alive. Looping very short samples and changing the pitch = game-controlled instrument. Awesome. Try it.

Here's what it sounds like so far: fmnsfx.mp3 .... is it weird to upload the sound of your game being played? =P

7 comments:

  1. not that this technique is new or not obvious or anything. it's my first go at manipulating sounds from code. exciting! -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet sounds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask Paul Pridham who did Fargoal about his sound synth, as his stuff is ALL procedural.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noonamah! cheers =)

    Graham, haha, that's where I got the idea actually! Love those Fargoal sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For breakeroids I basically added the sfxr engine (it's a free open-source license) to the game and generated the sounds on the fly. In the end it ran a smidge too slow for me on the old devices so I went back to just using pregenerated wavs (and messing with the pitch)

    Another nice interface for OpenAL is ObjectAL ( http://kstenerud.github.com/ObjectAL-for-iPhone/ ). I didn't use it for breakeroids but I'm probably going to go back and add it in to solve some sound issues with my own code.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went back to just using pregenerated wavs it .
    sbobet
    baccarat
    online baccarat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this blog its very informative and useful for us.

    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete